Immune Boosting One-Bowl Meal
This is truly an immune boosting one bowl meal! And fast – try cooking the barley and lentils in a crock pot all day – the longer they cook the creamier they get.
You can add the veggies at the beginning and let them cook all day, or, add them after the barley and lentils have cooked, about an hour before eating.
And here’s a bonus tip: Soaking the beans and grains together overnight and throwing away the soaking water makes them easier to digest and helps them to cook faster.
OMG – This soup contains the healing triad of onions, mushrooms, and greens, easily remembered as OMG!!!
Cruciferous vegetables like kale contain glucosinolates. When you blend, crush, chop, or chew these vegetables their cell walls are broken and a chemical reaction converts the glucosinolates to isothiocyanates (ITCs).
These compounds have a variety of potent immune boosting and anti-cancer effects. They also work synergistically with compounds found in mushrooms and onions to remove carcinogens, reduce inflammation, neutralize oxidative stress, and kill cancer cells. So eat up!
Lentil Barley Crock Pot Soup
Serves 4 – this soup freezes well – make a double or triple – it takes almost the same time as making a single
1/2 cup hulled, not pearled, barley, or gluten free whole oats
1/2 cup green or black lentils
For faster cooking and easier digestion:
>> Place in a bowl, cover with water and soak overnight
>> Drain and rinse before using
5 cups water or soup stock
1 tsp herb salt
Optional: 1 three inch piece of khombu or 1/2 tsp kelp powder
2 cups mushrooms – sliced or diced
2 cups leeks – diced
1 cup onion – diced
2 cups kale – torn or chopped
1 T avocado or grapeseed oil
1 tsp fines herbs, 1 tsp thyme, 1 bay leaf, 1/4 tsp black pepper, or 1 T Herbs de Provence, or 2 tsp Poultry seasoning
2 tsp Bragg Liquid Aminos, or soy sauce to taste
- Place soaked lentils and barley, water or stock, salt and kombu
- Stove top: in a heavy bottomed soup pot and bring to a boil and simmer one-two hours or until very soft and starchy
- Crock pot: on low for the whole day
- Instantpot: on the beans setting for 20 minutes
- Sauté the veggies in the oil for 10 minutes, then add the herbs sautéing a few minutes more before adding the Bragg or soy sauce
- You can either add veggies at the beginning or near the end and simmer until tender
- Taste and adjust seasonings
- Serve garnished with fresh parsley and/or herbs, and toasted nuts or seeds