Do you ever get a craving for something sweet, and sour? This salad has the perfect balance in the comforting and familiar form of potato salad. With a few upgrades…
Sweet potatoes, long considered a powerful food for women and hormonal balance, are now being touted as a “functional food”.
Definition: Functional foods are any food that has a positive effect on health beyond basic nutrition/energy needs. They promote optimal health and help reduce the risk of disease.
This is just one study supporting the medicinal value of this delicious food.
Sweet potatoes and snap peas provide all the sweet you need in this recipe, as well as lots of nutrition.
Capers and white balsamic vinegar provide just enough tart.
The dill and arugula and white pepper provide the upgraded flavor profile. And of course the Herbamare adds an unidentifiable umami richness that ties it all together.
Sweet & Sour Sweet Potato Salad
6 cups cubed sweet potatoes – peel if the skins are beat up
2 cups snow peas – cut in half crosswise
1 cup baby arugula
3 T extra virgin olive oil
3 T capers in brine – drained
3 T white balsamic vinegar
2 T fresh dill
1/2 tsp freshly ground white pepper
1/2 tsp Herbamare
- Steam the sweet potatoes for 5 minutes, or until tender but not mushy
- While they are steaming place all the other ingredients, except the snow peas in a big salad bowl and toss lightly
- Add the still hot sweet potatoes and toss – the arugula will wilt nicely
- Place the snow peas in the steamer for just 30 seconds or less, chill them with cold water
- When the sweet potatoes have cooled a bit, add the snow peas
- You can eat this salad warm or chilled.
- If you don’t have snow peas, try frozen peas, no need to steam them – the hot potatoes will cook them perfectly.