Ah, the pleasures of spring! Rhubarb is one of those seasonal delights you have to grab and enjoy before it’s gone. This recipe helps you do that with ease.
This take about 5 minutes to put together, and another 10 to cook. I like to eat this over oats for breakfast, blended with kefir for a lassi, added to a smoothie, or over coconut ice-cream for dessert.
A nice touch is to top the sauce with toasted coconut flakes.
If you are using it for a filling that will be baked, don’t bother to cook it down after sautéing – the heat of the oven will finish it off perfectly.
Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce
Makes about 2 cups once it is cooked down.
2 cups rhubarb – 1/2 inch chunks or larger, chop it smaller to cook more quickly
1 T coconut oil
2 T coconut sugar
1 10 oz package organic frozen strawberries – unless you have fresh local organic strawberries – these won’t need to cook as long!
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cardamom
sa pinch of sea salt
- heat up a frying pan and melt the coconut oil
- add the rhubarb and sauté on medium high, until it starts to brown a little
- add the coconut sugar and stir until melted and bubbling and it starts to stick and almost burn
- add the frozen strawberries, spices, turn to medium low or low, and cover
- add a little water if the pan is too dry to keep it from burning
The sauce is done when the rhubarb is cooked through.
Below: Oatmeal with raw milk kefir and strawberry – rhubarb sauce.