This satisfying spring soup made with white beans and seasonal asparagus and ramps make a great lunch or dinner and is perfect for a plant based spring detox. Serves four.
- 1/2 lb or one heaping cup of dry white beans (or use 2x15oz cans, drained and rinsed)
- 1 onion – diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups wild ramp leaves or leek greens – chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 bunch asparagus – ends snapped off, cut into one inch lengths (put tips aside)
- 2 T avocado or grapeseed oil
- 1 tsp herb salt
- 2 T lemon juice
- black pepper to taste
- Optional: to add minerals and make the beans more digestible add one 2-3″ strip of kombu or kelp sea vegetable, or 1 tsp kelp powder
Pre-prep if using dried beans:
- Soak 1/2 pound or one heaping cup of white beans overnight with 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar
- Crockpot method: In the morning, drain off the water and place the beans in a crockpot on low. Add 4 cups of water, one diced onion, 1 tsp salt, and if using, the sea vegetable. They will be perfectly ready to add the veggies to when you get home.
- InstantPot method: When you get home in the afternoon or evening, drain off the water, place the beans in the instant pot with 4 cups of water, one diced onion, 1 tsp salt, and if using, the sea vegetable and pressure cook for 20 minutes. While the beans are cooking prepare the veggies and follow the directions below.
- When the veggies are washed and prepped, heat a heavy bottomed pot, add the oil, toss in the all the veggies except the asparagus tips with the herb salt and sauté until wilted.
2. Add veggies:
- to crock pot and turn on high
- or add to InstantPot and use soup setting
- or if using canned beans, add the beans to the veggies, add just enough water to cover and bring to a boil
3. Simmer for 10 minutes, add asparagus tips, and simmer for 10 more minutes.
4. Add lemon juice and black pepper.
5. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Optional: You can blend some or all of this for a creamier soup.