Who knew pasta could be made out of so many different ingredients besides wheat? This new protein and fiber packed black bean pasta from Trader Joe’s* has all the full flavor of black beans in a novel new form.
As you may know, gluten and processed carbs cause havoc with our hormones. This black bean pasta has a whopping 14 grams of protein per serving, as well as 15 grams of fiber.
Beans also contain resistant starch, which are carbs that don’t get absorbed as calories, but instead feed the good bacteria in our guts.
All this means that you can enjoy a quick pasta meal while keeping blood sugar levels stable, and hormones in harmony.
Black Bean Pasta Salad
Yield: 4-6 servings
For the pasta:
12oz Trader Joe’s Black Bean Pasta
3-4 quarts of water
1 tsp salt
2 T extra virgin olive oil
- bring the water to a boil, add the salt and pasta, and stir well
- check after 6-7 minutes, and keep checking often after that so you can drain while it is still al dente
- drain and rinse well with very cold water, place in a big bowl, and stir in the olive oil
- this pasta chills well tossed with a little olive oil!
For the pasta salad:
1 cup onion
1 cup yellow sweet pepper
2 tbs chopped garlic
2 tsp smoky paprika
1-2 tsp chili flakes
2 cups zucchini
1 tbs grapeseed oil
4 tbs white balsamic vinegar
sea salt or herb salt to taste
1 cup cilantro – chopped roughly
1 avocado – cubed
1 large tomato – cubes
toasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds
- cut the veggies in roughly the same size and shape as the pasta
- heat up a frying pan, add the oil, and sauté the onion and sweet peppers until wilted
- add the spices, stir, then add the zucchini and sauté until it is warmed but not mushy
- add these veggies to the pasta with the vinegar, cilantro, and salt, tossing gently
- taste, adjust seasonings, and serve warm with fresh tomato, avocado, and seeds on top
Enjoy, and share your variations on the theme below in the comments section.
*For those of you not living in the United States, Trader Joe’s is a grocer that has made a name for itself providing really good quality food for great prices. There are other brands of black bean pasta out there! Check Asian markets as well for various forms of non-wheat pasta made with beans.