I just got a new wok, so I had to come up with a recipe that featured it!
And, salads can be tough to eat in these cold Northeast winters so I like to warm them up a bit.
This classic salad works well with an Asian twist while using some of the same basic ingredients you would find in the original.
Health Flash: Any combination of greens, onions, and mushrooms strengthens your immune system and is cancer preventative. Delicious and nutritious – Yay!
Asian Style Wilted Spinach Salad
Serves 2 well
2 cups broccoli with stems – cut in long pieces
1/4 cup raw nuts – almonds or cashews
1 cup red onion – sliced in 1.4 inch wedges lengthwise
1 1/2 cups mushrooms – sliced – can be crimini, shiitake or white button
3 T garlic – sliced
2 T Bragg Liquid Aminos or soy sauce
1 T whole grain mustard
1 T balsamic vinegar
1/2-1 tsp chili flakes
2-3 tsp coconut, grapeseed or avocado oil for sautéing
4 cups baby spinach
- prepare veggies and other ingredients to have ready before heating up your wok*
- heat up your wok on a medium high flame and add the oil**
- add the broccoli first and stir quickly so that all sides of it are hitting the pan, coated with oil, and singeing on the edges quickly
- after a couple of minutes add the onion, stir until it begins to wilt slightly, then add the garlic, chili, and mushrooms*** and continue to stir quickly, keeping the veggies moving and in contact with the bottom and sides of the pan
- when the mushrooms are heated through and starting to stick, add the Braggs or soy sauce, mustard, and balsamic vinegar
- stir until fully incorporated and remove from the flame
- toss the baby spinach into the hot veggies as quickly as possible**** until fully coated
- taste and adjust flavor as needed
- serve immediately while still warm
* If you don’t have a wok, use a roomy frying pan
** you want the oil to be hot right away, but not so hot it smokes!
*** the heat needs to stay high at this point, so the moisture cooks away
**** toss for a shorter period for a less wilted salad, longer for a more “cooked” salad