The rule of thumb for temperature control is to stay hydrated and avoid getting hangry… but here are 5 tricks for beating the summer heat and staying cool.
5 tricks for beating the summer heat
- add a few drops to a spray bottle with filtered water, and spray it around your throat, arms and wrists for a cooling effect
- place a little on your wrists, rub together, and inhale
- add fresh mint leaves to smoothies, chilled soups, salads and iced teas
2. Rosewater: get the edible kind
- add it to smoothies, soda water, and tea
- add a tablespoon or more to a spray bottle with filtered water and spray it around your throat, arms and wrists for a cooling effect
- drink Tulsi Rose Tea to reduce stress and heat
- sprinkle rosewater on your sheets and pillow case
- eat as is just like you would an apply for a cooling snack
- juice it with lemon, lime, or grapefruit and drink it iced
- freeze the juice into ice-cubes and use it instead of ice in soda water
- use it as a poultice to cool down your skin or for sunburn- blend the cucumber up including seeds and skin, mix 1/2 cup with 2 tablespoons witch hazel – lie on a towel and apply to your face or all over, rinse with cool water when ready.
- cut melon and other fruits in cubes, place on trays and freeze
- place berries in ice cube trays, fill with coconut water, and freeze
- When I was a chef, summers were the worst here in the Northeast – humidity off the charts while working in a kitchen that is already way too hot. These cooling neck wraps were my savior – try them and see for yourself!